Sunday, December 9, 2007

Not Today Rob bell

So i was talking about Rob bell the other day with one of my friends, i realized that i, like many people can trust a complete stranger and come to a point where i do not question what they say.

I like Rob bell. I think hes great, i've read velvet elvis and i own alot of his nommas. But there is this one nooma i hate, Dust. If u get a chance u should watch it, cause honestly i think its a load of crap, and i have seen first hand how its message can misunderstood on non believers. But the point is not to bash Rob bell, but instead how i have managed to return to a place where im pretty much willing to believe what ever he says, for no reason....and i think this kind of attitude seeps into other parts of life.

I was sitting in class, and my professor was talking about the death penalty and why its so bad. I'm against the deah penalty, but i took what this guy said without question, and he admitted his bias, then taught a slated class without being challenged.

I just read Helter Skelter, its about the Manson murders and a huge focus was on how he was able to manipulate people to kill for him, including college educated people. My reasoning, they were weak, lonely and or stupid. Not that i feel i could be taken into a cult, or that i think many people would, but i think we all have areas of our life that we buy into things without question, this was exemplified in how i feel about R bell. I believed everything this guy said without question, well NO MAS MR ROB BELL!

3 comments:

Emily Grace said...

Whoohoo! Hooray for critical thinking! ;-) What's the Dust Nooma about? I just watched "the golden compass" and it made me think of that... any relation? Lovely speaking with you last night!!

Beth said...

I agree with Emily Grace--hooray for critial thinking! :) Thanks for being honest about that tendancy; I think it exists in all of our hearts. It's easy to find someone you trust and let your guard down--and forget to "test everything; hold fast to the good." I've done it, too.

I'm interested in why you don't like "Dust." It happens to be one of the only RB Nooma videos I've seen (well, maybe I've seen Rain... I can't remember) and I showed it at the beginning of a Bible study I led back at WVU. Admittedly, it's been a few years since I've seen it, but I don't remember having a problem with it at all. How is it confusing to non-believers? I'm really interested in your thoughts on this.

I'm also interested in your views on the death penalty, as I'm forming my own and always learning.

Lia-tard said...

So... after 5 days or so of being done with class, I've pretty much thoroughly stalked everyone I know on facebook. So, congrats, you're next.

Anyways - in response to your post... I think it's interesting that you have that problem with Rob Bell because he talks so much about testing stuff - including himself. I tend to agree with him a lot too, but have found a few things that I disagree with. I do however agree that we tend to just go along with things we're taught - especially in classes. In those moments I feel like my brain accepts the newer 'facts' by pushing out older things I learned if they don't line up.

Keep up the critical learning!